Keeping these 5 plants in the house can be dangerous for pets and children - Newztezz Online


Thursday, July 15, 2021

Keeping these 5 plants in the house can be dangerous for pets and children

Houseplants can provide many benefits to a home. 
These help improve air quality, can be used for decoration, help with sleep and reduce stress. Keeping in mind many such things, plants are planted in the house. But some plants can be toxic to both your kids and pets. It is important to do your research on this plant before bringing it into your home blindly.

Peace Lily – Peace Lily is commonly planted in homes. It is kept as a houseplant. Peace lilies contain calcium oxalate crystals. Swallowing these tiny needle-like substances can cause burning of the lips, tongue, mouth and throat.  

Dieffenbachia – This plant is commonly called dumb cane. Apart from being poisonous, this plant is a very good houseplant. It is easy to take care of. Dieffenbachia cells contain insoluble calcium oxalate crystals. When viewed under a microscope, they will look like small needles. If you chew or swallow any part of the plant, irritation, swelling and redness may occur. Calcium oxalate crystals can cause irritation when in contact with the skin.

Caladium –  Caladiums usually occur in green, red, purple, pink and cream patterns. Its leaves can grow to very large sizes. Despite being very attractive, caladiums are not very popular as houseplants. It contains insoluble calcium oxalate like dieffenbachia. It can be harmful to the mouth and throat. 

Philodendron –  Philodendron is commonly grown as a houseplant. It is easy to take care of it. People like to keep it in their homes. This plant can be vineyard or non-vineyard. It contains calcium oxalate crystals which are toxic to all. It should be kept on high walls out of reach of children.

Pothos – Also known as devil's ivy. Many people recommend keeping pothos ivy in homes. This is because it has the ability to purify the air. Pothos contains insoluble calcium oxalate crystals, which are released when leaves or stems are opened. Pothos may have mild harmful effects but can cause serious side effects such as burning in the mouth, swelling of the lips and throat, diarrhea, vomiting, and skin irritation.

No comments:

Post a Comment