Genocide case against Israel will not be dismissed: UN's top court - Newztezz Online

Breaking

Friday, January 26, 2024

Genocide case against Israel will not be dismissed: UN's top court

South Africa also requested the court to order Israel to "immediately cease its military operations in and against Gaza." It is also calling on Israel to take "appropriate measures" to stop the genocide and allow access to desperately needed aid.

The UN's top court said Friday it would not dismiss a case accusing Israel of genocide in Gaza, but added that it would continue its military offensive on the small coastal enclave without risking loss of life or property. Try to prevent losses. On behalf of South Africa, which brought the case in the International Court of Justice (ICJ), there was a demand for an order from Israel to stop the attacks.

The Hague-based UN's top court decided not to dismiss genocide charges against Israel for its military attack in Gaza. In a highly anticipated decision delivered by a panel of 17 judges, the International Court of Justice has decided not to dismiss the case.

Genocide claims are insulting: PM Netanyahu

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says that even after the court's decision, Israel "will continue to do everything it can" to protect itself. PM Netanyahu rejected the massacre claims as “outrageous” and vowed to escalate the war. “We will continue to do whatever is necessary to protect the country and protect our people,” he said.

South Africa, which brought this matter before the court, had demanded the court to order Israel to stop the campaign. In his decision, Court President John E. Donoghue said, “The Court is acutely aware of the extent of the humanitarian tragedy unfolding in the region and is gravely concerned about the continued loss of life and human suffering.”

South Africa's demand

The court's decision on Friday is only interim. The full case brought by South Africa may take years to be considered. However, Israel rejected the charge of genocide and has also asked the court to dismiss these allegations.

South Africa also requested the court to order Israel to “immediately cease its military operations in and against Gaza.” It also calls on Israel to take “appropriate measures” to stop the genocide and allow access to desperately needed aid.

An Israeli official said Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu met with top legal, diplomatic and security officials on Thursday in view of the decision. He also said that Israel is confident in the matter but that they discussed “all scenarios”. The official, on condition of anonymity, said they were discussing the issue through confidential meetings.

26 thousand people have died so far

On October 7 last year, Hamas men attacked Israeli communities, killing about 1,200 people and abducting 250. The Hamas-run Health Ministry said that more than 26,000 Palestinians have been killed. The ministry did not distinguish between combatants and civilians among the dead, but did say that about two-thirds of those killed were women and children.

The Israeli army claims that at least 9,000 of those killed in the last four months of conflict are Hamas fighters. While UN officials have expressed fear that even more people may die from the disease, at least one-quarter of the population in the Gaza Strip is facing starvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment