Why should the newborn not lick honey? Know the right age to feed it - Newztezz Online


Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Why should the newborn not lick honey? Know the right age to feed it

You will also be aware that there has been a tradition of giving honey to a newborn child. But now doctors forbid children to taste or lick honey. Let us know the story behind this from the health experts.

By the way, it is possible that what we are doing today, people will find it strange in the coming 40 or 50 years? This can absolutely happen. Let us understand with an example. Till recently, you too must have seen that when a child was born, doctors used to hold them upside down, just like a chicken and then slapped the child and made them cry. But now this is not done at all. There are many other things, which have changed with time.

As soon as a child is born, it is made to taste honey. Perhaps when you were a newborn too, your parents or their elders would have fed you honey. But now doctors forbid it. Let us know from the experts why honey should not be given to newborns. Along with this, we will also try to know from our experts at what age the child should taste honey.

Why is honey given to newborn babies?

Actually, it is considered a ritual to taste honey to newborn children. It is believed that honey is the result of hard work. By licking honey to newborn children, it is wished that there should be happiness and sweetness like honey in the child's life. Well, this is a matter of rituals but let us tell you why honey should not be licked to newborn children.

Dangerous bacteria in honey.

One reason for this is that there are many chemicals in the honey available in the markets. Another reason is that honey contains such a bacteria, which can cause a disease called botulism in newborns. There is also a risk of death of children due to this. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention , honey may contain bacteria that can cause botulism in infants. That's why do not feed honey to children younger than 12 months i.e. one year. Honey is safe for people 1 year and older.

What is botulism disease

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention , botulism is a rare but dangerous disease caused by a toxin. This toxin itself attacks the nerves of the body. Because of which there is a risk of breathing problems, muscle paralysis and even death. This toxin is produced by Clostridium botulinum and sometimes by Clostridium butyricum and Clostridium bartyi bacteria. These bacteria can cause toxin production in food, wounds and in the intestines of infants.

What do health experts say

Dr. Rakesh Bagdi, former president of the Federation of Resident Doctors Association and pediatrician, says that from birth to 6 months, a child should not be given anything other than mother's milk as food. This can harm the health of the newborn child, the child is at risk of infection from any other food, which can cause serious illness. Even there is a possibility of death.

Pediatrician Dr. Arun Shah explains that the immunity of a small child is weak. They are at risk of early infection. In such a situation, nothing other than mother's milk should be given. This thing should be taken care of for at least eight months after birth.

No comments:

Post a Comment